Myspace Doesn't End At Death

Dane Freiler, 24 -- Motorcycle Accident

E-mail this post


All personal information that you provide here will be governed by the Privacy Policy of More...


The motorcyclist who died from injuries suffered in a crash on Route 6 Tuesday had a strong desire to "do the right thing" and wanted to be a police officer or firefighter, his uncle remembered Thursday.

The father of Dane J. Freiler, 24, of 59 W. Washington St., No. 8, on Thursday confirmed his son’s death the previous night, according to traffic Lt. Kevin Morrell.

Freiler’s uncle, John Freiler, a retired New York City police detective, said his nephew served in the Army in the 439th Quartermaster Battalion and was stationed in Iraq from April 2003 through August 2004 working to deliver fuel to military vehicles "where he was constantly subject to enemy fire."

Freiler said his nephew returned to Iraq in February 2005 and stayed through July of that year as a civilian performing the same job in an effort to save money for his July 7, 2007 wedding to fiancee Kelly Miceli.

"He was really interested in serving his country and doing the right thing," said John Freiler. "He felt compelled about that."

John Freiler forwarded an e-mail to The Bristol Press that Dane sent him from Iraq in July 2005 in which his nephew wrote, "When [I] get home [I] do plan on trying to find a job as a police officer, fireman, ... [I] am sure you can tell by now [I’m] very motivated when it comes to serving my country and its people. ..."

According to the accident report, Dane Freiler was riding his Yamaha 600 motorcycle west on Farmington Avenue and collided with the front right side of the Buick Century driven by Eleanor Kuchinskas, 80, of 167 Vance Drive when she attempted to turn left onto Jerome Avenue.

An investigation into the accident by the Serious Traffic Accident Recon-struction Team (START) is expected to take several weeks, said Morrell. He said both vehicles are being inspected to determine if mechanical failure may have contributed to the accident.

Freiler was airlifted to Hartford Hospital where, according to staff, he remained on life support in the Intensive Care Unit until he died Wednesday evening.

John Freiler said his nephew’s organs were donated, so in death he may help others.

No charges have been filed, according to Morrell, who said, "It will take several weeks to complete the investigation.



Search DeathSpace